Beerdies

Forums

Forum Home > Feeder Colonies > crickets

Jbnn

anyone have any tips on how to breed crickets?

January 27, 2012 at 8:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aleakim
Site Owner

Breeding? Bah.... Good luck with that! Home bred or not, they still die like the plague.

- Large-ish able-to-be-heated container with ventilation

I would use a rubbermaid container, but the lids naturally do not provide ventilation. You do NOT want large-mesh lids, which will not only allow crickets out, but will allow their enemies (centipedes, spiders, etc) in. Try cloth - old T-shirt cut up will work fine. Suggested white. XD Or, white-ish. Boil it to remove bacteria, cut it to make a large rectangle, cut a (marginally smaller) rectangle out with an exacto knife (carefully) of the rubbermaid container lid. Hot glue / super glue / semipermanently attach in some manner the fabric to the lid. You now have a rubber fitted lid with the center replaced with cloth.

- More crickets being bred, larger container.

- Heat source. Light bulb not recommended - fire hazard. Crickets breed and grow best at about 88 degrees Fahrenheit...They can breed at lower temps but will have a higher mortality rate. Ha...

- Food and water. Chicken mash is generally used. Potato/fruit can be used to give water, or water gel crystals. You don't want to use an open water source, as crickets are extremely apt at drowning themselves accidentally. Keep in mind that bacteria is the number one killer of crickets - the mash should be heated to kill bacteria (in an oven?), the water dish and such changed and sterilized daily...

- Generations. Cricket size is rather important, unless you plan on keeping them exclusively to yourself... I've never done this so I won't be much help as far as it all goes, but perhaps ... uh...

You want to keep different generations in a common box - babies have one box, semi-grown another, breeders another. You can have the soil/sand substrate as the box bottom, which is what I recommend, or you can have a small container in the main breeder box where they lay eggs. Blah. XD I dun like crickets enough to use this kinda brainpower on em...

So you have breeders in there. They're laying eggs - I'd leave them in for about 7 days. 10 days and they'll pretty much finish their egg-laying cycle (and be ready to be fed off) but by then the eggs will have begun hatching and, if they can catch them, the big ones will eat the babies. So move the breeders to a new container (so you will prob need at least 3 if not 4 containers - breeders laying, babies growing, semi-grown ones, and a second set of semi-grown ones older than the last set which will become your next set of breeders? Wait...then that's inbreeding....grrrr...You'll still have to buy a few more males every now and then to get some new blood.)

So... 7 days, take out the breeders, keep em in a new cage and feed them off. Let the eggs hatch, label them with date of hatching. When they're grown a bit, move them to a cooler temperature to slow maturation. The half-growns do not need sand.

Make sure none of the fruit/potato etc. gets moldy or stale.

--

Adsum - I am here!

January 27, 2012 at 9:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aleakim
Site Owner

Keep in mind how much noise crickets make.

Consider your parents/family/neighbors/apartment complex.

Someone said you can keep pesticide food pellets in the room with your crickets to kill off inevitable escapees.

Crickets smell horrible.

Oh look. <3

--

Adsum - I am here!

January 27, 2012 at 9:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George

yea i know i used to have a leo when i was younger(whioch is why i have an obseesion with them) and i fed him adukts biggest pains in the butss ever

--

Aproved by JoJo=D

January 27, 2012 at 10:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Darkwanderstorm

I'm gonna breed dubia roaches. :D

January 27, 2012 at 10:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kierskate

i know how to breed crickets

--

January 27, 2012 at 10:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George

GL on the roaches

--

Aproved by JoJo=D

January 27, 2012 at 10:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aleakim
Site Owner

Roaches are fun! If your parents dun' hate em. XD I had like ten of em once, was gonna start a colony of the leftover (started with 25) and so put em in a rubbermaid...

Came home and mom had fed the last of them off. I was like D8 but those were for breeding... and then my dad flipped. XD Needless to say, that ship was sunk. lol

--

Adsum - I am here!

January 27, 2012 at 11:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Darkwanderstorm

My mom hates me since I told her. I told her I'll breed silkworms instead if she pays for the food, she didnt like that idea either.

January 27, 2012 at 11:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Darkwanderstorm

Also where did you buy your roaches?

January 27, 2012 at 11:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jbnn

ty for the information, it sounds like the crickets might be a bigger challenge then i might be able to handle. are roaches easier to breed?  how would that work? where can you get them i haven't seen any at the pet stores in my area? :)

January 28, 2012 at 12:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Darkwanderstorm

You need a heat source if you dont live some where warm. I plan on just buying a plastic bin slap a heat pad on the bottom put some toilet paper tubes and egg cartons inside along with food and water source and cut a hole on the lid and put some mesh over it for ventilation.

January 28, 2012 at 12:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aleakim
Site Owner

Dubias are supremely easy to breed, so long as you remember to introduce new blood. Trick is not to kill your colony before they get going - be prepared to wait a few weeks before you feed much of anything to your dragons.

I'm lucky enough to have a local breeder who gave them to me for free - these guys breed that fast - but he recently stopped his colony. It got hit bad by the four day power outage that hit the area earlier last year...

http://roachesrus.com/

Not everything on the care sheet under it is correct. You don't want to feed dubia's cat food because ALL cat food is SUPER high in fat, and that'll be going into your dragon... They're good on a diet similar to crickets, bits of fresh food and fruit and maybe some mash of pre-made diet. They do not need substrate, but leave the container untouched for a few months and they'll make their own. :P

This guys has some good ideas in his video, and shows a good example of roach numbers, but I'm not sure why he seems quite fixated on oranges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgbPa6FKiR0

--

Adsum - I am here!

January 28, 2012 at 12:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Darkwanderstorm

i was watching another one he was using the oranges as a water source.

January 28, 2012 at 2:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Aleakim
Site Owner

Well, yes, but potatoes or bananas can be used just as well. XD I suppose oranges would be one of the highest water contents, though... But an entire puree? lol I'd be cutting them into 8ths and dropping them into a food bowl with any other food I was feeding.

--

Adsum - I am here!

January 28, 2012 at 11:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jbnn

i think i am going to try to start my own feeder colony of the dubia roaches. i am probably going to build up a good stock before i start feed them to my beardie.

January 29, 2012 at 2:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Darkwanderstorm

I bought a mix package so, I can breed and feed some to my breadie, but not too much still gotta breed them xD

January 29, 2012 at 3:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aleakim
Site Owner

Good luck you guys. XD Just make sure you have all the required bins and such before they arrive... lol

--

Adsum - I am here!

January 30, 2012 at 4:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jbnn

thakyou for all the good information.

January 30, 2012 at 7:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aleakim
Site Owner

No problem. :) I enjoy helping, and a lot of the time, helping others is a better way of retaining information than simple studying is.

--

Adsum - I am here!

January 30, 2012 at 7:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

1227 views - 0 comments
1224 views - 1 comment
1290 views - 2 comments
1398 views - 5 comments